A 58-year-old mother died after drinking too much Lemsip and accidently overdosing on paracetamol.

Joan Ita Bergin of the United Kingdom had been suffering from a cough for almost a week when she chose to take a standard cold and flu medicine, as well as paracetamol, to assist control her symptoms in December.

Mrs Bergin was transported to the hospital on Christmas Day after her son realized her condition had deteriorated.

According to local media sources, she died 13 days after being diagnosed with liver failure.

One packet of Lemsip, containing 1,000mg of paracetamol, is recommended every four to six hours as a maximum dose.

Mrs Bergin acknowledged to drinking Lemsip every four hours and taking more than the advised amount of paracetamol at times, according to an inquest hearing at Preston Coroner’s Court on Thursday.

Mrs Bergin had been vomiting coffee-colored bile before her death, and tests revealed she had “very increased” liver enzymes and low oxygen levels, according to Metro.
Mrs Bergin was given Parvolex, a drug to treat paracetamol overdose, at the hospital, but she continued to vomit blood, according to the inquest.

A chilling handwritten message allegedly led police to the alleged murderer of mother.

Mum’s harrowing phone call before her two children, aged three and five, were discovered dead at home

Young mechanics from Queensland were slain while performing a good deed on the side of the road.

Mrs Bergin’s condition worsened when she was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit.
The 58-year-old mother died on January 7 after physicians at Leeds General Infirmary told her there were no further treatment options.

According to Metro, her death was caused by multiple organ failure, pneumonia, and acute liver failure as a result of an unintended paracetamol overdose.

Coroner’s findings: ‘Misadventure’

Mrs Bergin’s son Matthew said his mum was “in good health normally,” Assistant Coroner Kate Bisset quoted him saying.

“But she rarely ate much, one full meal per week, and otherwise she would snack on things such as marmalade on toast. She drank plenty of water but had on occasions fainted due to lack of food,” she said.

Lemsip overdose death - Mum, 58, dies after accidentally overdosing on Lemsip
Mrs Bergin was rushed to the hospital on Christmas Day. Source: Getty (stock image)

Matthew reportedly said in a statement that his mum would drink three to four cans of cider each weekday and up to 10 cans on weekends.

The coroner concluded that Mrs Bergin died as a result of misadventure.

A spokesperson for Lemsip manufacturer Reckitt warned consumers they should not exceed more than four sachets in 24 hours, and to leave at least four to six hours between doses, Metro reports.

“The safety information and instructions for use are always reflected on the packaging and information leaflets,” they said.

“As with any medication, we would remind consumers and their caregivers to carefully read and follow the instructions provided on the packaging and patient information leaflet of all our medicinal products.”

Comments are closed.